Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It's Planting Season!

We now come to the most exciting part of the year, and the most work: planting season! It's funny how my 3 worlds collide during this time:

Yesterday, I planted asparagus (the gardening world), perhaps my favorite vegetable of all time! (That's the vegan world). I dug a massive trench and filled it with my very own home-made compost and watered it with rainwater from the rain barrel (the green world). Now, all I need is someone, who will still know me in 5 years to remind me of all this hard work, when I am finally able to reap the benefits!

We now have a vegan makeup store in Metrowest! It is called the All Natural Face, and the owner makes all of her own makeup. It is located in Framingham, but she also has a web-based business. (www.theallnaturalface.com)

Here is a disgusting fact that she told me: the ingredient carmine (in food or makeup, by the way) is actually ground up cockroaches! Disgusting!

Vegan activities this week - Worcester Veg Fest and Worcester vegan meetup at Belmont Vegetarian (which was yummy).

Green activities this week - Conservationist Group "sealed" my house, and I installed gaskets around most of my outlets---need to get more, ran out.

Gardening activities predominated the week - cleaned out the strawberries (they are looking good), planted outside (broccoli, spinach, shallots, radish, potatoes), took the mulch off the garlic, which is up in a big way. And, installed 35+ pinwheels all around the garden. This year I am waging war with my little groundhog friend: NO VACANCY! Also, went to a seminar on dirt at Harvey's Garden Center and learned that we don't need to water much---good to know. He said the average plant needs 1 inch of water per week and that here in New England, we are almost perfect that way. So, save yourself some work and leave the hose alone most of the time!

Happy Planting, Pruning, & Weeding!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment