Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

This year, in an effort to help others save time, I am going to try to blog about three things that I have become passionate about: being "green", living a vegan life, and becoming more self-sufficient through gardening. I plan to offer stories about my successes and failures in these three ventures and present little tips and tricks that I think could prove useful to others.


"Green" Tip: I have just discovered Freecycle. It is a wonderful online community for turning one person's junk into another person's treasure. I have used it this week to help clean out my garage and shed, and am so happy that my items are not only NOT going into a landfill, but that someone else is being able to use them and get joy from that!


Vegan Tip: Last night, I made vegan Rice Krispie squares, and they came out great. I used the Kellogg's recipe, left-over margarine from Christmas cookie baking (not Earth Balance, just something cheap and vegan I got at Stop and Shop---next batch will be with Earth Balance, though.) I did not use Rice Krispies, but instead used Erewhon Organic Crispy Brown Rice, and I used Dandies Marshmallows. I got both the cereal and marshmallows at Whole Foods Market. It took a long time for the marshmallows to melt, but perhaps I was just a little impatient because I had a friend coming over and wanted to finish before she got here. Both I & she thought they tasted great.


Gardening: I got nothing. (December was a vacation from the garden month.) But, stay tuned. Soon I will be preparing for next year's crop.


Happy New Year! I hope you found this information helpful!
Laura

1 comment:

  1. Awesome start! I've been in heavy duty garden planning mode. Now if I can get this shoulder back in order, I'll be all set.

    ReplyDelete